Friday, March 26, 2010

Spiritual Conundrum

Here is my current spiritual conundrum:

I feel like I spend too much time "going through the motions" and not enough time really engaging with life.

I feel like it's wrong (for me; not my place to judge what's right or wrong for you) to simply go through the motions of life without making some sort of effort to cultivate a spiritual awareness and engagement; a sense of gratefulness.

On the other hand, I think it's impossible to "force" true engagement with the spirit; it needs to arise, and our job is to commit to a disciplined practice of inviting it, which often entails time spent going through the motions.

How do I reconcile this?  Is there ever any answer other than: keep trying?  Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. I share your frustration on this one because I think peace is brought by the spirit and the spirit is brought by peace and sometimes they have a hard time finding each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it's less about the spiritual & more about being mindful of being present. When I'm at a great party or engaged in a great conversation or even watching a great movie or enjoying a great glass of wine, I ask myself, "Am I here? Am I present? Am I in this moment?" That usually gives me a sense of peace right away, because if the answer is "No", it serves as a reminder & I immediately get there.

    A deep breath works wonders, too :)

    ReplyDelete