Friday, December 4, 2009

Proust Questionnaire Copout

I will rely on the Proust Questionairre to hook me strong when I am uninspired for blogging material.  If it's good enough for Graydon Carter, it's good enough for me.

What is your greatest fear?

Losing a family member.  Sometimes I feel I wouldn't survive it, but then I remember that survival is just waking up morning after morning and sitting with pain.  And I, like the rest of the world, could and would probably do it.  But please God, don't make me.  And, yes, I realize I'm not religious.  But I will pray to anything and anyone if it has even marginal chances of protecting my family from harm.

On what occasion do you lie?

I actually have no qualms whatsoever about lying to strangers.  If it seems like they really want to hear something.....I'll tell it to them.  I may elaborate on this further in the future because I feel it has comic potential, but suffice it to say: if it sounds like I'm agreeing with you just to shut your ass up, that just might be the case.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?

My chin.  No, not that one!  The other one.  The *whispers* double chin.  Yeah, my whole family has twice as many chins as everyone else, at minimum.  SuperSpouse calls it:  Your chin, and your chinny-chin, and your chinny-chin-chin.  Why haven't I divorced him for that?  Oh yeah, cause I can't cook.  And he can.  So in the end, ALL my chins and their extended friends and relatives are clearly his fault anyway.  If you didn't want my chin to call everyone she knew, WHY did you make homemade guacamole?  I'm just sayin'.

How would you like to die?

At home, in my sleep, preferably of old age.  I would love to die the way my great grandmother did.  She lived independently in her own home until she was in her late nineties.  Every Sunday, we picked her up and took her to my grandmother's house (her daughter) for dinner.  There are six of us girls in my family, and she lived to see four of us.  One evening, when my mom was almost due with her fifth daughter, my grandmother had a strange premonition about her mother.  She drove over to her home and said:  Well, Annabelle's baby is almost due.  My great-grandmother responded: it's too bad I won't be here to see her.  You might! my grandmother replied.  No, countered my great-grandmother, I won't.  My grandmother had a feeling she should stay that night.  She spent the night with her mother, sleeping in her bed, spooning her mother and wrapping an arm around her waist.  When she woke in the morning, her mother had died during the night.  I can only pray it will be that beautiful for me.

Yes, I remember that I'm not religious!  But I pray all the time.  I just pray to the universe, and hope it's benevolent.  What else can a poor agnostic do?

No comments:

Post a Comment